Skip to main content

Hello I created a Google Sheet to populate my data for our department org charts.  That sheet was created under a previous account that I owned.  Since then I have a new account (because of my new position) and I've lost the ability to transfer ownership of that Sheet.  I was able to share to my personal email and then share it with my new account but I cannot figure out how to update my data link to use the new sheet to import into my org chart.  Is it possible to switch the data link import for my org chart?

Hi Dianne thanks for posting in the Lucid community - I'm happy to help! 

It is possible to replace refresh and overlay new data onto an existing diagram which is explained in full in this Org Charts article from the Lucidchart Help Center. 

However this functionality is only available to users on Enterprise subscriptions. If you are on a lower level account type I believe the most effective course of action would be to generate an entirely new org chart in your new account by uploading this new Google sheet. If desired you can copy and paste the styles applied to your previous chart to the new one. 

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any additional questions. 

Thanks for your response.  I was unable to select my new data sheet (after I made a copy of the original).  For some reason the system is NOT seeing that new file.  I had a colleague log into my chart and add that new data sheet (it worked for her) but it didn't maintain that data link when I went back into the org chart to sync the data.  I also created a new org chart and tried to pull that new sheet data into it but they system still doesn't see that file.  I'm not sure what to do.  

I believe we have a company account and we are going to call Lucid on Monday to see if we can get around this or learn that I have to start from scratch for both the data and chart.  

Hi Dianne thanks for the response. Based on what you're describing it sounds as though your Lucid account might be associated with a Google account that is different from the one that contains your org chart data file. To disconnect from the Google account that you are currently using for data linking please navigate to this link and revoke Lucidchart's access to your Google account. Please relink to your current account which contains your org chart data file. 

I see you've also opened a ticket with our support team - we'll continue to investigate the data syncing question there! Thanks for your help and patience.

Hi Micah

I revoked Lucidchart's access to my google account signed out and logged back in.  It still is not linking my data the same way that it was.  I have several tabs and when I previously clicked import data it allowed me to select all of the tabs.  I tried to link and selected only the one tab (since that was the only option) but it seems that I may have to do that for each tab now.  Did something change or is there a bug that I'm not aware of?  Thank you for your help.  Before I pitch this to my team I need to be sure/confident that this system is going to be dependable/accurate for maintaining our org charts.

Also it is making new tabs in my Lucid org chart instead of updating the corresponding tab.

Hi Dianne thanks for getting back to me. You are correct the current data import experience requires you to import only one tab of a Google Sheet at a time but this is the case only when initially creating your diagram. You'll see a modal like the following:

However after this initial import which generates your diagram you can overlay additional datasets where you'll have the option to select multiple or all tabs in a Google Sheet as shown here:

I hope this helps to clarify the behavior here!

I am having difficulty getting to the more familiar 2nd part since I have already created and populated my org chart.  Any chance I can schedule a google meet with you or somebody on your team to walk through the problem I am having?

Dianne I posted my response before seeing your second comment. It sounds as though you're generating a new org chart each time you want to layer in an additional tab from your Google Sheet which is likely why you're seeing additional pages within your Lucidchart document. Please try using the "Overlay Data" option to import additional tabs (this is what I've done in my second screenshot in my prior response) and let me know if you have additional questions!

Still not working properly.  I don't have the options in your screen shot.  I do recall having that ability yesterday morning.

OMG! I don't understand what happened. I kept unlinking and relinking.  Now I can import my data and all sheets are linked AGAIN.  Is there something that I need to know going forward so that I don't keep experiencing this?  Do I have to be on a specific sheet before doing the overlay new dataset?

Is it possible to talk to a tech so I can better understand how Lucid/google work?   I hit data linking  on the left side and notice that the tabs have a number in parenthesis (2) etc. but I'm not sure what that means.  Could this be the reason I'm having issues?  

Hi Dianne thanks for your response and that screenshot. I'm glad to hear that data linking is working as expected for you and you're seeing changes sync between your data and diagram. The numbers in parentheses like "(2)" indicate multiple datasets/tabs by the same name that you've uploaded. If you've uploaded the same tab more than once they'd be named this way within Lucidchart. However without seeing your specific document it's difficult to understand the sequence of events and what you've experienced. It looks like you've opened a support ticket with our team - we'll continue the conversation there so we can take a closer look at what you're experiencing. Please refer to that email for further communication! Thanks for your help and patience.