Skip to main content

I'd like to create a very basic shape which is essentially a form. In this case i want to represent Ingress Rule objects which have a Host Port and a Path. I created a rounded box and then 3 text boxes for lables and then 3 text boxes for the user input and then tossed in some defaults and positioned all of it. After getting things in to position i attempted several different ways to group the data and then attempt to modify the 3 value text boxes. I can click away to get to the edit mode of a text box however that seems to destroy the group after the fact.

Is there any way that i can keep the set of shapes as a single custom shape but also allow the user to select edit fields (text boxes) within that custom shape and retain it as a single shape after the edit?

In searching for this all i could find was stuff related to getting dynamic data in from google sheets or something and nothing regard using modification/update/input to a custom shape

Thanks

Hi Justin 

Thanks for reaching out!

Let me see if I am understand what you are trying to do...

- You want to create a custom shape that includes a background shape (the rounded box) and multiple text boxes all grouped together 

- You want users to be able to edit the text boxes on the shape without needing to un-group it

This should be possible if the users have edit access to the document. If they double-click on the grouped shape they will then be able to edit the text boxes within the group shape. When they double click outside of the grouped shape they will return to general editing mode of their document and the grouped shape will be treated as one shape. 

Please let me know if I am misunderstanding what you are trying to accomplish or if you have any further questions!

Thanks for the response!

I think i asked a bit too soon. when i converted my stuff to a custom shape (rather than just building and using what i built) it worked as epxected when i create a new instance of that custom shape. So it was just that i was testing it as my group of objects and not after actually making it a custom shape.

thanks!