Skip to main content

I want to use Data Linking feature to visualize a graph (a diagram of some system). The graph is composed of nodes and edges. The nodes would be visualised as rectangles with some text the edges would be arrows between the rectangles.

I know I can use Data Linking to automatically assign the names to the nodes (rectangles).

Can I use data linking to automatically generate arrows (edges) between the rectangles?

Hi @jakub m thanks for posting in the community and sharing your use-case. While it's possible to add data to an existing line/arrow in your diagram it's unfortunately not possible to generate a line using data-linking. 

This may not be suitable for your use-case however you could drag data onto the canvas and select the arrow shape from "Shapes" library. This will generate an arrow shape that displays the text from your dataset.

Alternatively you could create a text box with the data you'd like to apply to an arrow and place it next to an arrow. You could also drag a selection box around the text box and arrow then right-click and select 'Group' to group them together.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to comment in this thread if you have any questions or create a new post if there's another topic you'd like to discuss!

Thanks Leianne for the quick answer!

Hi @jakub m it's my pleasure! We're also always looking for ways to improve Lucidchart and your feedback is the best way for us to do that. Would you mind adding your idea to our product feedback section? Ideas submitted to this form are passed on to the product development team for their consideration.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hi! 👋 Jumping in here because I think you and others who might come across this post may be interested in Lucid’s Data Trusted User Group. This group is made up of knowledgeable users who regularly analyze and visualize data in their work. As part of this group, you’ll have the opportunity to connect directly with Lucid’s product team, gain early access to beta features, and share insights about your needs, shaping the future of Lucid’s data solutions 🎉 You can learn more and request to join here. Thanks!