Skip to main content

Hi All 

I am looking to create a visually appealing org chart for our client. I liked the circular org chart example provided below. However this layout and shaping is not built into the Org Chart templates that are made available for imported data. I am rather confined to "matrix" looking charts that are stretched short and wide. When you try to convert an org chart template into anything resembling the circular template provided below there is not even an option you are rather provided different iterations of the plain "matrixed" templates. If anyone has worked through this before please advise. Thanks!

Hi Russel thanks for posting in the Lucid community - I'm happy to help!

Your understanding of the Lucidchart org chart tool's behavior is correct: when using the data import method that automatically generates the diagram you are limited to the pre-defined layout options. In order to create a circular org chart or one with any other non-traditional layout you will need to manually build it using "regular" shapes not the formal org chart shapes as is the case in the template you show above. You can however still associate your data with these "regular" shapes using Lucidchart's Data Linking functionality should you wish to not manually enter all employee information. 

If you'd like to see support in the future for additional org chart layouts built using the official org chart tool our development team would love to learn more about your use case and what you're hoping to create via this feature request form. Ideas submitted here are considered when prioritizing improvements to Lucidchart. Thanks for your request and apologies for any inconvenience. Please let me know if you have additional questions here!

I'll leave this thread open and would love to see suggestions from the broader community about any non-traditional org chart styles that others have created!