Skip to main content

I've created a large number of lines all connecting to a single box.  For clarity and inspired by the Layers tutorial I added the lines to a new Layer so they can be hidden -- but now if I want to move a line to connect to another side of my box they don't seem to connect any more -- the line doesn't "see" the box or its connection points.  Is there a way to connect a line on one layer to a shape on another layer?

Thanks!

Hi Chris

Thanks for posting in the community. It's a great question! When drawing your line try holding the Alt or Option key on your keyboard. This should enable you to attach lines to objects in different layers. 

Let me know if this doesn't work for you and I'm happy to take a closer look!

Thanks Ashley this is just what I needed!

Great to hear! Feel free to reach out with anymore questions.

I will post this as its own question but seems a good follow up to this question. 

I want to place the same shape in multiple layers. 

The use case for this is a complex diagram where the receptor ( the user that reads the diagram ) can focus on just one layer.  But some of the shapes are used in multiple layers.  

More specifically if you have two use cases and one HTTP container  then the layers for both the use cases will contain the shape for the HTTP endpoint. 

Hi @jeremy v thanks so much for continuing this thread! I saw that you created a post with your follow up question so I've answered your question there. 

To answer here in short: The best way to achieve this is by copying & pasting since there unfortunately isn't a feature/function to place a shape on multiple layers. However I also provided some additional tips on how to copy/paste shapes in the same position quickly so I encourage anyone who is interested to take a look at Jeremy's post!

I hope this helps! Feel free to comment below or in the other post if you have any questions and we'll be happy to assist :)