Skip to main content

Hello

I am trying to have a dotted line inside of a shape in my Lucidchart diagram that connects two exterior lines for a wiring diagram.  I have attached a hand drawing of what I am trying to accomplish.  Is this possible?

iOxQfN3YwkWbQXuKyj4J3w.png

Clayton

Thanks for reaching out.  You can draw a line manually by using the "L" key.  That is probably going to be the easiest method.  Each line can be edited for endpoint type and style via the line options on the top bar of the editor.  

That works great!  Thanks

I tried to connect 2 points inside a box. What happens is that when the connection is made the line is not contained inside the box. I'll clarify some more. If I want to split up a box that I made before I can connect a line on 1 side of the box (inside). Then I take the other end of the line and try to connect it to the opposite side (or wherever on the inside of the box). What happens is that the line overextends outside the box leaving a line outside the box. How do I make sure the line doesn't over extend but sticks to where I want to connect?

Hi there 

Thanks for posting in the Lucidchart Community! Could you double-check that your line connections are turned off under File > Settings > Document Settings > Lines?

If not it’s likely that the line is overextending the internal edge of the box because line connections are set to automatically adjust connection points to form the most efficient path between the two objects (in this case the two outer sides of the box you’re trying to split up.) Disabling this setting should allow you to split up a box by crossing it with a line connecting two internal edges of that box. 

NPJcKxPx2zx0KX8bihwgMg.png

For more information on how to format lines according to your needs please review our Work with Lines article from the Lucidchart Help Center. Hope this helps!