Skip to main content

I have a multi-layered diagram where I want to have only one of two mutually exclusive layers. I don't want to have to click a button for this if I can avoid it. Given a chart with Layer 1 Layer 2 Layer 3 and Layer 4. I want 2 and 3 to be mutually exclusive such that only one of them at a time can be visible.

Why does toggling a layer's visibility require a manual click of "sync visibility"? Can I toggle that to automatic?

Hi Mark thanks for contributing in our community! -- I'm happy to help! Just to clarify how would you like to toggle between the layers? You can create an action to toggle Layer 2 and Layer 3 which would then eliminate the need to sync visibility. However you will have to trigger this action. For an example on how to use Layers in conjunction with other features to create an action button please take a look at this Community post.

If I've missed the mark I'd love a little more detail so that I can help out. 

Thank you Whittney

While its interesting and I might use "... a button that will toggle between showing and hiding your layers. "

I'm after something a little different. I'd like to mark 2 or 3 layers as mutually exclusive ... only one of them can be visible at a time.

As a side note when I have many layers... its a pain to toggle each one individually. I'd love to be able to 1-click set the visibility of ALL layers on or off.

Lastly automatic sync visibility for a diagram would be great. We export drawings to JPG for an immutable archive against approved software architectures.. if I toggle off a few layers and forget to "sync" I get everything when I only want the visible layers.

Thanks
Mark

Thanks for that update Mark! I understand why both of those features would be helpful. Unfortunately automatic sync visibility is not currently possible in Lucidchart. However I love this idea and I think our users would too. Would you mind adding your ideas to our feature request form? This information is passed along to our Dev Team for their consideration. 

We appreciate your insight and comments!

Thank you I used the form to offer several feature requests that would help me and likely be helpful to others.

Hi Mark that's great! We really appreciate your ideas! Hope you enjoy your weekend!