Skip to main content

I have a group of shapes where I added data to the group (not an individual shape within the group). I wanted to add some conditional formatting from the icon library to visually indicate the group has data but the conditional formatting does not work on the group. I have successfully applied the desired conditional formatting to a single shape just not the group.

Hi @david-hartman-br 

Lucidchart's conditional formatting typically functions smoothly on individual shapes, but applying it to a group of shapes can be challenging.

The issue you're experiencing may causing from adding data to the group as a whole, rather than to individual shapes within the group, which can affect how Lucidchart processes and applies conditional formatting rules

To learn more on this - please navigate to the help article.

Add conditional formatting in Lucidchart – Lucid

Hope this helps - Happy to help further!!
Thank you very much and have a great one!
Warm regards

Hello @Humas1985, your reply wasn’t very helpful since it contained conflicting information. You mentioned that “applying iconditional formatting] to a group of shapes can be challenging” which indicates applying conditional formatting to a group is possible, however, the link you shared has no mention of “group” or how to apply conditional formatting to a group.

I don’t want the data on each shape in the group I want the data in the group itself and a visual indicator that the group contains data.

Adding conditional formatting to a group may not be possible and I can understand why it would not make sense to develop from Lucid’s perspective. I asked this question out of curiosity if anyone was able to ‘solve’ adding conditional formatting to a group.

Thanks!

Hi @david-hartman-br 

Regret for the inconvenience caused to you.

Let me also work with the team to add the limitations of Conditional Formatting on a Group in the help article, which will add better clarity.

Outside of that whatever we have in the article is the full coverage on the Conditional Formatting at this time.

Also we will wait to hear from other community members / associates to share their insight, on whether they have any alternative solutions or suggestions that may better meet your needs.

Best Regards

Hi @david-hartman-br,

It is possible to add Conditional Formatting to several shapes (or a “group” of shapes) by for instance manually selecting them (Select shape(s) > Conditional Formatting), as seen here: 

Or adding them one by one (Select shape > Click on the 3 dots of a rule > Apply to selection), as seen here:

I hope this is helpful and answers your question!

Please let me know if you have any other concerns, cheers!