Skip to main content

Here is what I would like to be able to do:

1. On a page have a static array of shapes (rectangles) that would depict a feature set
  2. Import a spreadsheet with the feature set name in one column and another column indicating it’s present.
  3. Use conditional formatting to cause the feature name to appear as text within the shape IF the corresponding column indicates the feature is present.  If it’s not the corresponding shape should have no text in it.

I have been able to get a page with boxes containing the text.  What I can’t see how to do is:

1. Map existing boxes to the data set
  2. Only place the text from column one in a given shape based on the contents of column 2

Is this possible or am I exceeding the feature set?

Hi! I’m a Sr. Solution Engineer at Lucid, and I love this question.

I think for this, you might want to try Lucid’s Data Linking & a formula with an “If-Statement” instead of Conditional Formatting. Check out this video, on how to make a smart custom shape that will do what you want:

https://play.goconsensus.com/s1178930b

First of all - thanks for bringing together all of the little pieces that make this work.

This worked well but I am seeing some odd behavior I don’t understand.  The saved custom shape worked wonders for automating the process.  That is all that I did - nothing more than was in the video.

When I drag the rows out onto a sheet the correct number come across AND the text is displayed.  Woo-hoo!  As advertised in the video.

What I don’t understand - what I didn’t see happen:

1. Several of the shapes are filled with color.  It appears to be random.  I didn’t do any conditional formatting.
  2. How can I control the default number of rows & columns?
  3. The shapes’ text is sorting A-z left to right.  Is there a way to control it A-z top to bottom?

I will see if I can discern the root of the evil but would appreciate any insights.

Hi Larry!

Some of this is hard to answer without seeing the doc:

1. If your attached spreadsheet has color formatting, that might be what’s coming over. But hard to say.
  2. I’m not sure what you mean on rows and columns? Could you share a video or screenshot(s)?
  3. Same as #2

I can also connect you with your account’s Solution Engineer, if that helps :)

Thank You for responding.

For item 1 I realized that there was conditional formatting in play.  I did not create the rule (I did create the drawing) so I am not sure of how it came to be.  I found it, corrected it, and moved on.

The other two questions were really about the initial placement of the shapes linked to rows pulled from the data.  I tried to see if I could affect the outcome of each but didn’t see a way to do so.  It simply becomes an exercise in field placement which is manageable.

I have time set up with my site engineer . . . so hopefully I’ll learn better ways to go about what I am doing with the data linking.

Cheers!

Ahh yeah, we just kind of get the shapes out there. I’m sure your SE will be able to help! :)

Hi @Larry Kemmerling! I’m Abby from Lucid, reaching out because I think you, and others who might come across this topic in the future, might be interested in Lucid’s Data Trusted User Group. This group is made up of knowledgeable users who regularly analyze and visualize data in their work. As part of this group, you’ll have the opportunity to connect directly with Lucid’s product team, gain early access to beta features, and share insights about your needs, shaping the future of Lucid’s data solutions 🎉 You can learn more and request to join here. Thanks!