Skip to main content

Hey All

First time using Lucidchart and I have to say if I can figure out my 2 questions above it certainly beats faffing with Visio or PowerPoint!!

1) I would like each department in my org chart to be a different colour however I would like it set out "HR Org Chart" style.  I.e. marketing would be green HR would be purple etc.  How do I do this?  It said something about Scrum Teams but I'm not sure that is quite what I want as I want it to automatically update someone as purple if they are new and start in HR.

2) How do I set my org chart to automatically update itself (i.e. search for updates in our BambooHR - where i got data from).  I dont want it to rely on me updating every week or something.

Thank you so so so much all.

Amy

Hi Amy 

Thanks for reaching out in the community! Here are the responses to your questions:

1) You can set different colors to each one of your organization's departments by using Conditional formatting rules. To create a rule to automatically fill your HR employee shapes with a specific color please follow the steps below:

• Click on the magic wand icon in the formatting bar at the top of the canvas to open the conditional formatting editor.
  • Click “Create Rule”.
  • Define your "If" conditions: Select "Shape Data" under the "Data Source" menu >"Department" (or whatever you named the column on your dataset that refers to the organization's department) under the "Property" menu > "Contains" under the "Conditions menu > "HR" (or whatever you named the HR Department on your dataset). 
  • Define your "Then" conditions: Select "Shape Style" under the "Formatting" menu > Select a "Fill Color" from the color swatch.  

MSekmQJXJyaNiaY9Xe5brw.png

I created four rules for the org chart below each one setting a specific color to each one of the departments: 

ZiQObt4pcmHif_MJ9e6cfA.png

Once you set those rules any new employee added to the org chart who is connected to one of those departments will show in a shape filled with the color corresponding to the department at hand. 

Please note that the property "Department" will only show in the conditional formatting editor if your dataset includes a column for that value. For more information on how to embody conditional formatting into our org chart please review our Conditional Formatting article from the Lucidchart Help Center.

2) Unfortunately it's currently not possible to get your org chart automatically updated when changes are made to the Bamboo HR data you have imported. However you can easily sync changes from Bamboo HR to your Lucidchart document by refreshing your data source. To do that double-click somewhere on the Org Chart to open up the Org Chart menu > select the “Data” tab > click "Refresh Dataset". To learn more about how to get the most out of our org chart functionalities please take a look at our Org Chart article. 

Hope this helps! 

Hi! I’m Micah from Lucid’s community team. 👋 Jumping in here to share about Lucid’s Data Trusted User Group. This group is made up of knowledgeable users who regularly analyze and visualize data in their work. As part of this group, you’ll have the opportunity to connect directly with Lucid’s product team, gain early access to beta features, and share insights about your needs, shaping the future of Lucid’s data solutions 🎉 You can learn more and request to join here. Thanks!