Skip to main content

EDIT: It turns out that there is a way to do this but it is unintuitive: Shape Options has a Flip widget that has the effect of moving the text. The answer to the previous comment did not provide this hint. This is clearly a work-around to a problem that should be addressed correctly because once the shape is flipped the text left-align control right-aligns the label text top-align applies bottom-alignment etc.

OBSOLETE ORIGINAL: There is a previous post with this same subject line. That for years it has not been prioritized to be able to put the label for a BPMN shape in a location that is easily readable in a diagram (above below left- right- or center-aligned) shows little consideration of usability for that type of diagramming. This is fundamental.

Hi Dennis thanks for posting in the Lucidchart Community and thanks for your additional tip of using the Flip tool within the Shape Options menu. Perhaps you might also find this workaround useful:

1. Delete the original text box that accompanies your BPMN shape. 

2. Add a separate text box to your canvas and add the text of your choosing. 

3. Position this new text box near your BPMN shape where you'd like it to appear so that it doesn't interfere with the rest of your diagram. 

4. If you'd like to move the BPMN shape and text box together group them by selecting both right-clicking and choosing Group. 

I've demonstrated all of these steps in the GIF below. 

However I recognize that both of these solutions are different than the ability to reposition the original text box and I've logged your feedback here to share directly with our development team. I apologize for the inconvenience! Please let me know if you have additional questions or concerns.