Skip to main content

Hello!

I have multiple documents in my account but I'd like to *only* backup/restore one of them to a different account.

I tried to transfer via backup/restore as described in the Transfer Files page but that backs up all of my documents as a single file rather than each document individually.

I also tried syncing my data to Google Drive via the Lucidchart in Google Drive page. That option syncs my files individually BUT doesn't give me any access to download them share them etc.

What are my options to backup a single file for transfer to a different account?

Hi Jesse 

Thanks for posting in the community! In this situation I would recommend simply sharing the single document with the account you want to house the backup with full editing and sharing permissions. That way any changes your make in your "working" account will be reflected and saved in your "backup" account and you will also be able to download and share it from the "backup" account. For help with sharing please take a look at our Collaborate and Share article from our help center and let me know if you have any additional questions! 

Hi Micah! Thanks for this response. We already tried that but it's not enough. We ideally want to remove me from the document entirely but we can't do that if I'm the owner.

Hi Jesse 

Thanks for getting back to me. To clarify are you saying that you want to continue to have access to the document (download share etc. as mentioned in your first message) but you do not want to own in? Unfortunately it's not possible for a document to be completely owner-less. It does sound like you're working with coworkers or other collaborators - could you share this document with them and they make a copy of it? That way they will become the owner of the copy and then they can share this single document copy to the "backup" account instead of you. At that point you would be free to delete your original version of the document as a copy that you are "removed" from exists elsewhere. Let me know if I'm not understanding the situation correctly and if you have additional questions!

Hi Micah

To clarify: I want the document to be owned by someone I shared the document with. If this person whom I've shared the document with makes a copy of the original document and then I delete the original document they'll be the owner of the new document (e.g. the copy)? Also will the copy include all revision history of the original document? Thank you!

Hi Jesse 

Correct - you can delete the original document and they will be the new owner of the copy. Unfortunately the copy will not include the revision history as our system treats the copy as an entirely new separate document. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks for this information Micah! Where can I make a feature request for the ability to transfer a single document?

Hi Jesse 

You can submit a feature request using this form! Ideas submitted here are passed along to our development team which values user feedback when prioritizing improvements to the product. Thanks for submitting - let me know if you have any other questions!