Skip to main content

If I build multiple subtasks in a  hierarchy in a dataset and build an org chart that has the columns map to each level of hierarchy (Portfolio Program Initiative) in the chart can I click a button to have the chart fill out with the data from the dataset? 

My hierarchy 

Portfolio = Tractors
Program = Model T540 Tractor
Initiatives = Assemble Tractor
Epics = Install Engine
Tasks = Mount in Tractor
SubTasks = Insert Bolt in mount hole

Hi Steve thanks for posting in the Lucid community - I'm happy to help! 

This is generally possible. In order for Lucidchart to "understand" your dataset and automatically generate an org chart you'll need to structure it in the same way that you would employee data. Specifically you'll need to indicate the "reporting relationship" between Subtasks -> Tasks -> Epics -> Initiatives -> Program ->Portfolio. This Set up your data section of the Org Chart article from the Lucidchart Help Center describes how to do this using a "supervisor ID" in detail. For example you might identify a task  with Employee ID "5" then indicate that a subtask for that task has Supervisor ID "5" to create your hierarchy. Please let me know if you have speicifc questions about this!

Then once you've imported your data and Lucidchart has visualized your tasks you can use the "Employee Fields" tool which normally displays data attributes like Role Department Location etc. to display attributes of your sub-task data. More information on this can be found in the Manage employee fields section of the article. 

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Hi @Steve M104! Abby here from Lucid. I thought you, and others who might come across this topic in the future, might be interested in Lucid’s Agile Trusted User Group. This group is made up of passionate, experienced users who regularly use agile methodologies in their work. As part of this group, you’ll have the opportunity to connect directly with Lucid’s product team and share insights about your workflows, pain points, and needs, shaping the future of Lucid’s agile tools. 🎉 You can learn more and apply here. Thanks!