Skip to main content

I bought a lucid chart license so I could make diagrams for a book. I've used some of the built in icons such as those for AWS in some of my diagrams but my publisher is concerned over the potential licensing issues. I would expect that such things would be negotiated by lucid chart before being offered in a paid product but I need to hear it from the horse's mouth. Can lucid chart confirm?

Hi Jon thanks for posting in the Lucidchart Community!

Regarding licensing for specific 3rd party icons or shape libraries such as AWS: The AWS icons in the AWS shape library belong to Amazon so we would recommend looking to Amazon for guidance around potential licensing issues when using them in your publication. This page could be a good place for you to start: https://aws.amazon.com/architecture/icons/.

Apart from this here are some general guidelines for citing Lucidchart in published materials: If you created the document you would like to use yourself then you are the owner of the diagram and can use it however you would like. Others who have used diagrams in books or publications have cited the diagram image with "Created in Lucidchart (www.lucidchart.com)". We encourage you to do this as well but it is not required as you own the work you created in Lucidchart.

If you would like to use a template we created you may reference us with the following citation: Created in Lucidchart (www.lucidchart.com)

If you would like to reference an article or webpage we wrote you may reference us like this:
“Article name.” Link to asset 
For example: “How to Use Value Stream Mapping in DevOps.” www.lucidchart.com/blog/value-stream-mapping-for-devops

We also ask that you reference/cite any product screenshots as “Lucidchart www.lucidchart.com” or other wording that references both our full brand name and our website.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.