Skip to main content

Although I'm the company admin for lucidchart I'm not able to view any documents unless they're explicitly shared with me. Is a setting I can use to have view access automatically to all documents? 

Hi Matt thanks for posting. Unfortunately there is currently no way for an admin to view all documents owned by users on an account. If this would be useful for you would you mind submitting the idea to our product development team by posting in the product feedback section? 

You might also wish to check out Team Folders if you're not already using them. This feature does not give you access to all documents on the account but Team Folders are managed and 'owned' by the overall account rather than individual users so they provide a better option for account-wide sharing and document management. 

As ab admin am I able to see all documents even though they are not shared. This become very useful when someone has gone on long term sick and we need to access the documents.

Hi Jessie thanks for continuing this thread. As Emma described admins automatically seeing the documents of all users on their accounts is not currently supported but we would love to hear more about the details for your use case in the feature request form linked above. In the meantime you might find it useful to take advantage of Team Folders (more information linked above) or simply request that your users share their documents to a collaborative folder or with you to facilitate account-wide sharing. If you have specific questions about how to use these features please refer to this Collaborate and Share article or post them below!

I would also like to have an option as the administrator to see and assign access to documents for all users within our organization. The biggest reason for this feature is that when a user leaves the company we may need to access the documents. If they did not store them in a team folder than this is not possible and we have lost access to our Intellectual Property.

Hi Chris

Thank you for contributing to the Lucid community! First of all it is important to note that when a user is deleted or delicensed admins are given the option to transfer their documents (please visit the Lucid Help Center for more information on transferring files and for more information on deleting/delicensing a user). Hopefully this step will prevent any documents from getting lost. If you ever find that you've deleted a user without transferring their documents please submit a support ticket right away and we would be happy to help try and recover the documents!

To answer your question directly you may find that our Document Discovery feature allows you to do just what you're asking about! 

Document Discovery is only available to Enterprise accounts. If you are a Document Admin or Account Owner you can use the Document Discovery feature to search and view all documents owned by your team’s account. Select Document Discovery from the dropdown in the left-hand menu to access this functionality. Read on to learn more.

With Document Discovery you can search any user (that is on your Enterprise account) by email to bring up all documents they've created. In the example below I've searched a user's email address.

The search reveals this user has created only a single document. Clicking on the document title opens it with view-only permissions. There is also the ability to Transfer document ownership Manage document location and Only export metadata CSV

It is important to note that only your Account Owner has the ability to assign Document Admin privileges.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.