Skip to main content

Hello. Very new to Lucid charts. However I cannot seem to get any consistent results when adding linked data to a shape. 

Sometimes when I drag and drop a row (excel format table) I get the data that shows row values alongside the column header (which is exactly what I want). Other times the data I drop does not automatically display in the shape but is listed in the context menu. The problem with that is when I click the +T function it will add only the cell value in a vertical list for each one. 

I cannot seem to add a header text and a cell value that will display as

without having to manually re-format it. I have gone through all the learning lab stuff but I just cannot get this aspect to work as I expect and want it to. So annoying.  

... apologies. Solved. 

I still cannot figure out how I manage at times to drag the data to display directly into the shape. But at least I now know how to add linked column header and row values that will show together. I did not know to use the Layout window in the contextual menu! 

Hi Leon

Thanks for contributing to the Lucid Community! Just to make sure that we are on the same page please review our data linking article from the Lucidchart Help Center and let me know if you have any questions about the intended functionality. Please also review this helpful example of Data Linking for a demonstration of the feature in action.To directly answer your question I've pasted the section on displaying data on document components below:

Display Data on Document Components
Lucidchart allows you to customize how the data you assign to shapes appears on the canvas.
To display a data label or value on an object follow these steps:

1. Select the object on your canvas.

2. Open the contextual panel by selecting  the contextual panel icon on the far right-hand side of the toolbar.

3. Hover over the desired row of data in the top half of the contextual panel.

4. Click  the Add Text button that appears.

The data label or value will appear as regular text that you can style and embed in longer text strings. If you replace the data linked to an object with a new row or cell of data the new data will automatically take on the format and style of the old data.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions!