Skip to main content

Hi,

I’ve created quite a complex flow chart that displays multiple business processes across multiple divisions/departments. I didn’t know about layers before i created this. It seems that i’m unable to create a layer, that includes process boxes, with all its connecting lines retained to another layer?  I’ve worked out i can hold option key (mac keyboard) to connect multiple layers. This is fine if i’m building layers as i go, but i didn’t so is there any way of doing this retrospectively.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers Ben

Hi Ben, yes, this is possible! First, create the layer that you’d like to move your objects into. Next, select the objects on your main page, including any connecting lines, that you’d like to move into that layer. After selecting them, right-click and choose Move to Layer from the menu, then choose your new layer. Now, it will behave both as as grouped part of that layer and as shapes that are connected to ones on the main page. I’ve demonstrated all of this in the video below.

Hi Micah, thanks very much for the prompt response. Unfortunately i’m unable to see this video as its heavily pixelated in this chat window. Is there anyway to view externally? Cheers

Ben

Sorry another question. How can i remove a layer but without losing all the shapes and lines within that layer?

Hey Ben! I’d recommend checking out our Layers article from the Lucid Help Center. Coupling this with Actions may help answer all of the questions you’ve asked here. 

Let us know if you have any other questions or if these resources don’t help!

Thanks Phillip. Ok thats worked i’m now back at the beginning. I’ve got a bit of a monster flow chart which is complete, but i now need to restrospectively add layers that i can then toggle on and off to seeing particular flows clearer without the spaghetti junction of lines, if that makes sense? Any tips?

Hey Ben -- glad to hear that worked for you! I would recommend checking out the article on Actions as these will allow you to toggle the layers as needed, cleaning up the line junctions and allowing you to see your flow much clearer. 

@Ben S My apologies - I didn’t catch the poor upload quality after adding it. You can access that recording here, with the passcode: UM!T9jq?

I hope this helps!

Hi Micah, thanks for the link to the video but i’m getting a no permission screen and nowhere to enter the password. 

Hi @Ben S, my sincere apologies for the difficulties with sharing this video! This should work 😀