Skip to main content

Can I use to "Add Actions to a diagram >>>> link to web" the value from the linked google sheet  - not  the exact address?

Hello Vytautas

Thanks for posting in the Community!

Unfortunately I am not sure I fully understand your question. Adding an action to a shape allows you to link to either a web page another page of the same Lucidchart document or a page of another Lucidchart document trigger the creation of an email toggle the layers of the same document or toggle conditional formatting rules on and off.

For further information about Actions I would recommend that you review the following Help Center article:  Add Actions to a diagram

Please let me know if you have any questions or in case this does not answer your question!

I think I'd like to do something similar...
Suppose my data in Sheets looks like this

Name URL URL of image
gina myhomepage.com/me https://media-exp1.licdn.com/dms/image/C4E03AQG60jI0LKl1FQ/profile-displayphoto-shrink_800_800/0/1537045350001?e=1675900800&v=beta&t=t1jEybr65KwWw10RZxdtry6IrHFPGWzebMbTQFPTytQ

As it stands I can't figure out how to tell Lucidchart to turn the URL of the image into an actual image automatically. Instead I have to click on the placeholder shape choose Actions -> go to [link to URL] then add the URL in the Actions dialog

It feels like there must be a way to say "OK Lucidchart when I link any element in this column don't display the link text itself instead make it an "Action -> Link to object" and use the value I linked.

Maybe?

Hi @gina l thanks for continuing this thread! Unfortunately it's not currently possible to automatically turn a URL of an image into an image. However I can see how that feature would be useful! Would you mind adding your idea to our feature request form? Ideas submitted to this form are passed on to the product development team for their consideration. 

Thanks for your request and I apologize for any inconvenience this causes you.

Leianne-
When I look at the prg chart template though that seems to be exactly what happens.   In one column the sheet owner enters the URL of an external image (often LinkedIn) and somehow when you use the org chart template those URLs are "automagically" turned into images (by the Actions function I'm guessing).

I can't use the format of your template -- ours is interactive and uses layers to both provide additional information (descriptions of what teams do and URLs for the locations for additional information about the team) and let you dive deeper into the org.

However since you've created a way to turn an image link in a spreadsheet into an actual image in your org chart template I was hoping that there was a way I could use the same functionality.

Does that make sense?

Hi @gina l thanks for following up with additional details about your use-case and apologies for the delayed response. Unfortunately there isn't currently a way to achieve this outside of our Org Chart feature.

You can add an image URL to an org chart shape which will automatically convert it to an image. Alternatively it is possible to import your org chart spreadsheet and automatically create your Org Chart in Lucidchart.

For more information I recommend taking a look at our Org Chart article from the Help Center. 

I hope this helps. Please feel free to let us know if you have any additional questions!