Skip to main content

Hello I was unable to find this answer from doing a search on the internet.  I am looking to lock a shape to a specific table cell as I need both horizontal and vertical context to align a feature/epic to a particular application workstream in a given month so that when I add more "shapes" to the table I don't have to have to manually shift all the other shapes.  Miro has a template that can do this and I am looking for similar functionality in Lucidchart and wondering if I just can't find it. 

Hi Regan thanks for your comment in our community! You do have the ability to lock shapes and containers within Lucidchart. Take a look at our super helpful Work with shapes article from our Help Center.

To lock a shape's position size and/or style:

1. Select the shape you want to lock. 

2. Click the lock icon at the top-right of the Formatting bar.

3. Check the boxes for each property you want to lock.

An individual locked object within an unlocked parent object (such as a container or group) will move if the parent object is moved. To prevent this lock the parent object as well. 

Hope this helps! If I missed the mark I'd love to see a screenshot of the type of template you are wanting to work with. 

Hi Whittney. 

What I am trying to accomplish is this 

Current State

Desired: If I increase the row above the blue rectangle the blue rectangle moves with the row it is associated with (essentially locked with the row).  When I lock it via the method suggested above  it locks to the size and position in the frame which isn't the same. 

All of the containers allow me to be row or column oriented but not have both without basically creating a table of multiple rectangles which I could do just seemed very inefficient. 

Hi Regan thanks for that screenshot! I am curious if our "Release Planning" template might be helpful? It essentially is containers that organize in row and columns and then it allows you to add tasks. Is this closer to what you're trying to accomplish? 

Almost.  It seems to only allow me the three assignees (rows)  and I am unable to edit them from what I can see.  I see the same thing for similar types of template in the library.  

Hi Regan! So it's not perfect but I did find a workaround for adding a row(s) to this template. If you select the "Assignee" on a card and label it what you want the row labeled it will create a new row for you. You can then delete any rows that you do not want in your current document. I have attached a screen recording here. Let me know what you think.  

Thank you!  I will try that! 

Happy to help Regan!