Solved

Programmatically create shapes and lines using REST API?

• 16 January 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hello Lucidchart Developer Community,

I'm currently exploring the functionalities of the Lucidchart API and I've hit a roadblock. My project requires dynamic creation and manipulation of diagram elements, specifically shapes and lines, and I'm curious about the extent of Lucidchart's API capabilities in this regard.

Does Lucidchart offer a REST API that allows for the programmatic creation of shapes and lines within a diagram? I'm interested in understanding how detailed this control is, such as specifying types, sizes, positions, and custom styling for these elements. Additionally, how feasible is it to dynamically add, modify, or interconnect these elements within a Lucidchart document via automated processes or external applications?

Any insights, documentation references, or examples of similar implementations would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to your responses and guidance!

Best regards,

Nikolai

icon

Best answer by Ian Baenziger 16 January 2024, 20:22

View original

Comments

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi Nikolai!

In short, we do not have a REST API solution today for adding or manipulating (e.g. change their size, text, location, etc.) shapes or lines on the canvas. This is something we are actually hoping to begin building in the near future.

We recently released REST API functionality (adding the Lucid Standard Import type to our Import document endpoint) that allows you to define where shapes, lines, etc. will be on a document and then create a new document with the shapes, lines, etc. appropriately populated. However, this only works when the document is being created for the first time.

Our Extension API does have functionality for adding and manipulating shapes, lines, etc. on the canvas. However, the document does need to be open in the browser for the Extension API to run.

As we plan our functionality for editing shapes and lines, I am actually very curious about your use case. I’ll reach out via email to request a time to meet (if you’re comfortable).

Thanks!

Ian

Badge +1

As we plan our functionality for editing shapes and lines, I am actually very curious about your use case. I’ll reach out via email to request a time to meet (if you’re comfortable).

Ian

Please do!