Solved

Auditing a User's owned Documents

• 15 December 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Hi!

We like to automate our onboarding and offboarding process through a given product’s API, and part of our offboarding process for a User from Lucid is:

1. Determining if the User owned documents
  2. Transferring those documents to another suitable User

I’m having a hard time finding an endpoint in the Lucid API docs that allows me to provide a User ID to obtain the documents they own. I don’t see a practical way of doing this. I could GET the https://api.lucid.co/documents/:id endpoint with a multi-threaded “scanner” approach that increments the documentId (a UUID) every call (this would only take several trillion API calls per User) and collects documents with a matching creatorId of the target User, but I’m hoping for a more efficient approach.

I could use help. What is the simplest endpoint of the Lucid API I can use to retrieve a list of a User’s owned documents? 

icon

Best answer by Richard U 15 December 2023, 23:32

View original

Comments

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi @JStelly thank you for contributing to the Lucid for Developers Community! 

Transferring those documents to another suitable User

You can use the Transfer Content endpoint to transfer ownership of Lucid documents and objects from one user to another on the same account. Is this endpoint helpful for implementing your onboarding process?

Determining if the User owned documents

Unfortunately, this is not able to determined via API. However, Account Owners and Document Admins have access to our Document Discovery tool in the Lucid Admin Panel. Searching the user’s email address into then sorting the results by “Owner” will return a list of all user-owned documents.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we’re here to help!

Badge +1

Thank you for the reply, Richard.

Regarding the transfer endpoint, that may indeed be useful in places where we can blindly transfer documents. This might be a perfectly practical solution. I hadn’t considered doing that.

Regarding detecting User ownership of documents, the Document Discovery Tool is a very handy GUI tool, and it’s existence suggests existing backend functionality to return documents associated with a User. My interpretation is that Lucid has likely decided against API exposure of this functionality, and that makes me sad.

Overall, I appreciate your help. Blind transfers may be workable. I hope you have a good weekend.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

You’re welcome @JStelly, happy to help! Thank you for the feedback, I have passed this on to the Product team for their consideration. Please don’t hesitate to reach out again in the Community if you have any other questions, ideas, or feedback about Lucid’s APIs and Developer Platform!

Badge +5

Very, very, very Valuable ask for that @JStelly .

@Richard U I don’t understand why we can list the documents that are part of a folder and not the document that users have.

Yes, it is soooooooomuch important and crucial to know (and to list obviously) all the documents of a user using Rest API.

It could be the same as in Folders API that returns all the documents

https://api.lucid.co/folders/:id/contents

And could be in Users API for returning all the docuements.

https://api.lucid.co/users/:id/contents