Skip to main content
Solved

Adding new custom shapes freezes document

I have a fairly complex diagram that uses a lot of shapes from a large custom shape library.

I’m running into a problem where the document freezes (the zoom percentage changes but the view does not change, and I can’t pan) if I try to add a shape from this custom shape library that is not already present in the document.

That is, if shape A is already in the document, I can add it no problem.  If shape B is not already in the document, adding shape B causes the document to freeze.  Sometimes the offending shape disappears right away, sometimes it doesn’t.  The shape is always gone after I reopen the document.

Creating a copy of the document doesn’t fix the problem.

Can you help? 

Please let me know how to point you to these files.  The document is a confidential work document so I cannot publicly link it.  This form doesn’t let me attach the shape library.

Hi @Ben Tesch 

Start by separating the problem to determine if it's related to the shape itself or the document. Create a new, simpler document and add the problematic shape to see if the issue persists. If it does, try removing other shapes from the document to rule out any interactions causing the problem.

Then, examine the shape's complexity and try simplifying it by reducing elements or lines. If the shape is not in SVG format, convert it to SVG for better compatibility and performance. Then, verify the custom shape library for errors or inconsistencies and test with a different library if possible.

Lastly, optimize the document structure by grouping related shapes and using layers to improve performance and manageability.

Hope this helps - Happy to help further!!
Thank you very much and have a great one!
Warm regards

It’s not the shape itself; the shape works fine in a new document.

It appears the document freezes when I add any shape to the document from my custom library that is not already present in the document.

I’m perhaps 2/3 done with the document.  If it cannot tolerate more shapes at this point, then I cannot use LucidChart for this purpose.

I need to get this diagram done.  This is for work.  And the behavior really looks a lot like a software bug.  Can you help?

If it helps, the document UUID appears to be 85021419-5674-45f9-ae82-fc1e73c2ab84 from the URL.

The custom shape library package UUID is cc46c477-41eb-4220-9953-056d12e18c4e.  I’m on version 0.0.8.

Also, the shapes are very simple.  They’re in a custom shape library that I made by manually typing in JSON.  The shapes consist of simple primitives, usually only SVG paths.  Sometimes also rectangles or text areas, but usually not.

The custom shape library has 53 shapes in it; maybe I ran into some kind of limit?

Hey Ben!

Just to make sure we’re getting the best people in the thread to answer your question: how did you get this shape library into Lucid?

Did you build this shape library on our Extension API, and then test it locally and/or upload it to the Lucid developer portal? Or did you some how get the shapes into Lucid via another way?

Thanks!

Ian

I built the shape library with the extension API.  I have both debugged it locally and have packaged it and uploaded in the developer portal.  Presently, I am using it via installation from the developer portal, but there may have been times where I added shapes from the library to this document via the local debug route.

Hi @Ben Tesch , thank you for the additional details. Could you please generate a temporary Support PIN for this document (docID: 85021419-5674-45f9-ae82-fc1e73c2ab84) so I can take a closer look? You can find instructions on creating a Support PIN in this Help Center article.

Additionally, could you provide a screenshot of the associated JavaScript Console output when the issue occurs? You can open the Console by pressing Ctrl + Shift + J (Windows/Linux) or Cmd + Opt + J (Mac).

I created a temporary support PIN for that document.

Here’s the Javascript console.  It repeats the “Error while rendering” one up to an ErrorCount of 4096.

Let me know if you need anything else.

@Ben Tesch Thank you for sharing these details. Could you please pass along the support pin, as well?

I sent it via private message.  Let me know if that didn’t work.

Hi @Ben Tesch 

Thank you for confirming the PIN, we will reference this as needed for troubleshooting. Further, I see that Ian from our Product team has already reached out to you directly via email to gather more details. Could you please check your inbox and confirm if you’ve received it?

Yes, I received the email.  I set up a meeting for 1-1:30 CDT today via the link in the email.  Sorry for not also replying more explicitly until now.  The notification for this thread ended up in my non-focused inbox.

Hi again @Ben Tesch 

This issue has been fixed. Would you confirm that you can add your custom shapes again?

Thanks!

It’s working now.  Thank you!