Skip to main content

De-license user

• 17 November 2020
  • 3 replies

If I have automation with Bettercloud to de-license a user but don't select an account to transfer ownership of documents to what would happen to these docs?

Hi Gregory

Thanks for posting on the community! When de-licensing a user if you do not transfer ownership of the documents the documents will remain in the users account. This means the user will have complete ownership over the documents and the team will not be able to access these documents without the owner's permission.

On the other hand if you were to delete the user and not transfer the documents the documents will be deleted and anonymized with the user making it impossible to access the documents again. Take a look at the Privacy and Security article in our Help Center to learn more.

Please reach out again if you have any other questions! Hope this helps!

If I de-license a user it says "this action cannot be undone" If I don't transfer ownership of the documents and de-license the user can we add a license back to the users account to gain access to the documents?

Hey Aria

Thank you for contributing to the Lucid Community with your question!  It is correct that when you de-license a user you have the opportunity to transfer their documents.  When you delicense a user you must transfer the documents to another user and input an email address otherwise you will not have the option to click “Delicense”. Please see this article for details.

If you add a license back to the user the user will not regain access to those documents that were transfered. However whomever the documents were transferred to will have the ability to share these documents with the user. Please see our help center article for details on transferring files via sharing.

Thanks again for posting in the community!