Skip to main content

For an Org Chart Data Set are multiple users able to update the data set (excel file) if the Org Chart is shared with them? I can't seem to find the data set in my documents even though I uploaded to Lucid Chart and it gives me an option to update the data set in the "Import Data" portion of Lucid Chart. Or would I need to use the Linked data in order for this?

Hey George

Thank you for posting in the Lucid Community. To clarify--when using our Data Import feature to build an Org Chart the data is only imported into the document it is not linked. Are you attempting to allow your Team edit the dataset within Lucid instead of Excel? 

Hi Philip

Thanks for clarifying on the data import feature. Is there a way for the data to be editable? So that a team can update the dataset when employees are onboarded/offboarded.

I was allowing my team to edit the dataset within Lucid.

Hey George

Thank you for the reply! Unfortunately editing the dataset in Lucid will not reflect in your Excel document. You can however download a CSV of the changes to the dataset you've made. Alternatively you can import your Org Chart from Google Sheets which will allow you to see changes made in the Sheet. 

I hope this helps clarify--I'm including the Lucid Help Desk article concerning Org Charts to help out along the way. Let me know if you have any additional questions. Cheers!

Hi Philip.

Does using a Google sheet allow lucid to automatically update the Org Chart when the Google Sheet is updated? If so then I assume this functionality is limited to Google Sheets and not Excel?

Also I didn't see anything attached to your last comment to the Lucid Help Desk Article.

Hey George

Thank you for the reply and apologies for the missing link! That is correct if you import your Org Chart using Google Sheets you will be able to refresh the dataset of your Org Chart when you update the Sheet. 

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks for the link Philip!

Just one more question is Data Linking in Lucid Chart the same Importing Data using Google Sheets?

Hey George

Thanks for the reply and question! Data Linking is a bit different than our Data Import feature. When data is linked to a Lucidchart the Lucidchart document will reflect the changes made in the dataset. Data Import does not reflect changes made in the dataset from outside of Lucidchart. 

Hope this helps clarify! 

Thanks Philip!

This is really helpful I think I will use Data Linking for my org chart through Google Sheets so it will automatically updated. Do you know if this feature will be added for Excel on the Web files?

Hey George

Happy to help! I'm not certain that this is on our roadmap however I am happy to log your request and ensure it gets into the right hands. 

Thank you for the thoughtful idea--we are always trying to improve Lucid and your feedback is the best way for us to do that. Let me know if you have any other questions! 

Hi! I’m Micah from Lucid’s community team. 👋 I thought you, and any others who might come across this topic in the future, might be interested in Lucid’s Data Trusted User Group. This group is made up of knowledgeable users who regularly analyze and visualize data in their work. As part of this group, you’ll have the opportunity to connect directly with Lucid’s product team, gain early access to beta features, and share insights about your needs, shaping the future of Lucid’s data solutions 🎉 You can learn more and request to join here. Thanks!

Hi, George! Since you’re working with Excel files I wanted to let you know that we are actively developing an Excel integration with Lucidchart. This feature will allow you to import spreadsheets from Office 365 business accounts, and have 2-way syncing between Lucid and your Excel spreadsheet. 

If you (or anyone reading this) is interested, shoot me a DM. I can get you onboarded to our Excel beta.  We’re actively looking for testers that can provide feedback and feature requests for this new capability.