Skip to main content

I have a list of employees linked to my lucidchart via a google sheets file.  I’ve created objects linked to each employee.  When the employee is removed from the source document I want that object deleted.  How do I make this happen?

Hi @bishopjernigan 

There isn’t a native feature to automatically remove objects when corresponding data is deleted from linked Google Sheets or CSV files.

By leveraging the API, you can create a custom script that synchronizes your diagram with your data source, identifying and deleting unnecessary objects.

You can also explore the help article for more thoughts:

Create Diagrams Automatically in Lucidchart | Lucidchart Blog

We also look forward to hearing from other community members and associates, who may have alternative suggestions that could better address your requirements.

Hope this helps - Happy to help further!!
Thank you very much and have a great one!
Warm regards

Hi @bishopjernigan, thank you for posting in the community and @Humas1985 for sharing the resources! 

Would you mind sharing more details about your use case (eg. are you creating an org chart)? This will help us better understand and share any potential options to achieve this. Thanks! 

Sure, I have a huge workforce with craze attrition. It is hard enough to keep the database (excel, csv) current but to have to come back to my org chart or  RACI chart or whatever and have to manually remove objects- that is such a pain. It’s hard enough to import them into the object types I want. There has to be some “if not in the list, delete linked object” option. 

To automate the removal of objects in Lucidchart when an employee is deleted from the source CSV, you can use a script or automation tool. Set up a script in Google Sheets that detects changes in the CSV file and triggers an update in Lucidchart. This script should identify deleted employees and remove the corresponding objects in Lucidchart. Using Google Apps Script or a similar tool can help streamline this process.