Skip to main content

hi is it possible to do a conditional formatting to have a specific line color between shapes?

for example is shape = switch and shape = server then line = blue

if shape = router and shape = router then line is red

Hey @yianni -- thanks for posting! You should be able to do this utilizing conditional formatting and using shape type with then shape style of line. If this isn’t working properly for you, would you care to send a screenshot of your rule and the resulting lines so I can take a closer look?

Thank you for your help and patience! 

this is what i tried. but doesnt seem like my lines between routers change

also i just noticed with a shape that i imported i cannot select it as a shape type

Hey @yianni -- aha, okay, I think I have a solution for us -- we will need to utilize a formula. Here’s the formula that should do the trick: 

=contains(shapetype(upstream), ‘ProcessBlock’)

Process is the shape type that I used for my example, however, you will need to know the type of shape that you’re using. To find that out, click on the shape, navigate to the right side panel and under property one, type the formula:

=shapetype

Once you have all of your “if” statements clarified for all the shapes, you can then move down to the “then” statement and make the line colors what you would like them to be. 

Hope this helps!

Hey @yianni -- aha, okay, I think I have a solution for us -- we will need to utilize a formula. Here’s the formula that should do the trick: 

=contains(shapetype(upstream), ‘ProcessBlock’)

Process is the shape type that I used for my example, however, you will need to know the type of shape that you’re using. To find that out, click on the shape, navigate to the right side panel and under property one, type the formula:

=shapetype

Once you have all of your “if” statements clarified for all the shapes, you can then move down to the “then” statement and make the line colors what you would like them to be. 

Hope this helps!

how would this work to make sure that if i have 2 shapes say like a source shape and destination shape then put this line 

also how come my custom shapes dont show up in the conditional formatting ?

Hey there -- thanks for the reply! So, you’ll need to change the shape in your formula for each shape you’d like to change the line color for. For example, if it’s a source shape it would be 

=contains(shapetype(upstream), ‘sourceshape’) 

From there, you’ll change the line within the conditional formatting to be whatever color you’d like it to be. 

As for your second question, if you do have a custom shape that you’ve uploaded, it may not appear in the Shape Style within the preset conditional formatting, however, you should be able to utilize this same method I’ve mentioned above to create a formula that works for your use case. 

Hope this helps!

Hey there -- thanks for the reply! So, you’ll need to change the shape in your formula for each shape you’d like to change the line color for. For example, if it’s a source shape it would be 

=contains(shapetype(upstream), ‘sourceshape’) 

From there, you’ll change the line within the conditional formatting to be whatever color you’d like it to be. 

As for your second question, if you do have a custom shape that you’ve uploaded, it may not appear in the Shape Style within the preset conditional formatting, however, you should be able to utilize this same method I’ve mentioned above to create a formula that works for your use case. 

Hope this helps!

looks like i was able to get it to do what i want with this, is it possible to make it automatically put the line between the routers?

how can i change the shapetype property of a shape? my custom shapes have some random type

Hey there,

Thank you for the reply and I’m glad that works for you! Great question, however, I believe the best option here would be utilizing the method I’ve shown above for identifying the shape type and then using that information to create your formula. 

Hope this helps!

Hey there,

Thank you for the reply and I’m glad that works for you! Great question, however, I believe the best option here would be utilizing the method I’ve shown above for identifying the shape type and then using that information to create your formula. 

Hope this helps!

So there’s no way to edit the shapes data? or add new data? such as shapetype

Hey @yianni -- thanks for the reply! So, you cannot edit the shapetype, however, what you could do is create a new data property called “Type” and name that something unique to that shape. From there, you’d need to use a slightly new formula so it catches shapes with that data. It would look like

=contains(shapetype(upstream), ‘Type’ ‘whatever your type is called’) 

It should look something like this on your right side panel: 

Hope this helps!

thank you, is there documentation on th custom data and what fields can be created?

Hey @yianni -- thanks for the reply! Here is our documentation for formulas and here is a video that covers custom data in Lucidchart. 

Hope these help!

Hi @yianni! I’m Abby from Lucid, reaching out because I think you, and others who might come across this topic in the future, might be interested in Lucid’s Data Trusted User Group. This group is made up of knowledgeable users who regularly analyze and visualize data in their work. As part of this group, you’ll have the opportunity to connect directly with Lucid’s product team, gain early access to beta features, and share insights about your needs, shaping the future of Lucid’s data solutions 🎉 You can learn more and request to join here. Thanks!