Skip to main content

I've just started trialling Lucid Chart so apologies if this answer is obvious.

I simply need to sum the values of manually entered data in a Lucid Chart table. How do I do this? I do not want to use linked data etc. 

Hey Fran

Thank you for posting in the Lucid Community! Here is a page with all of Lucid's formulas that you can use. This should help out along the way. 

If you would like to sum values in a table you must first ensure those values are identified by Lucid as values and not just text. To do this you will need to click into the right panel and navigate to the Data tab. From there you will see that you can add properties by clicking the "+" sign by Custom Data. You can assign numerical values and insert that value as text into the table. Then for one of the properties you will use the "=Sum(@"property 1"+@"property 2")" and so on to total your values. 

Here is a short video displaying this process. I hope this helps--please let me know if you have any other questions!

Hi Phillip thanks a lot for the clear explanation. That all makes sense.

I'm building a tool that needs to scale and be used easily by others so instead of using a table I think it will be better to sum shape data instead. 

If I have a series of shapes containing custom data with field name "sensors" is there a formula that will sum any "sensors" data on the page? I've tried many variations of formulas e.g. {{=SUM(page."sensors")}} but just can't make it work myself. 

Thanks for your help!

Hi Fran

Thanks for continuing the discussion! I've created three shapes each with a custom property called "Sensors" where I've added a value for that field for each shape.

I believe you could use then use the formula {{=SUM(children. "sensors")}} to sum this property for all children (aka shapes on the page). 

Hopefully this helps! Please let me know if I've misunderstood what you're trying to do and I'd be happy to continue to help! 

Hi Whitney thanks so much for your reply.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong! I've started a fresh document and attached screenshots detailing each shape on the page. I have three shapes each with custom property "sensors" (their values are also inserted as text into the shapes).

But the formula {{=SUM(children."sensors")}} returns zero. 

I'm sure I must be missing something obvious! I've tried so many variations of formulas. The only way I can get any kind of summing to work is by connecting the shapes and using "connected". 

I would love to figure this out...

Hi Fran

Happy to help out! From your screenshots it appears you are attaching the formula to a shape. It is then not showing a sum because it is just that shape. Would you try to add the formula to the page? I believe it should then capture all the items on the page which will then give you the sum of all items on the page. 

Hope this helps! 

Hi Whitney how do I add the formula to the page? 

To clarify I need to the sum number to be visible on the page/diagram somewhere.

Thanks

Hi Fran

As long as you are clicking on the page and not an item on the page the toolbar on the right side of the document should show "Page." Then under Custom Data click on the circle with the plus sign and add the formula there. 

You can then hover over the formula until you see three horizontal dots. Click on the dots and select "T+ Insert Label as Text". This will allow the formula to be visible on the page. 

Hope this helps! 

Got it thank you. (I had been inserting the formula with the {{ }} – once I removed these it worked.) Thanks for your help! :)

Hi Fran!

That's great! Happy to hear it is working as expected and that you are creating a helpful tool! Thanks for contributing to our community! Happy Holidays!