Skip to main content

The action link used to link a shape to another LucidChart document not working. I have tried multiple times to link a shape to another document in my LucidCharts document folder but every time I link it doesn't save the linkage.

I've looked through the tutorials available and have been following each step but it's still not working. 

For reference I'm in Chrome.

The screenshot below is what it keeps coming back to after I've selected the document I wanted to link and hit save. You'll see that no link is saved. I was successful in linking other boxes to webpages.

Hi Mary Kate

I am unable to reproduce this issue in my own document. Is it only one specific object? If so I would recommend deleting and replacing the object to see if it resolves the problem. If it is a type of object/library that is causing the issue use this form to send us your document URL and screenshots of the affected shape so we can troubleshoot in greater detail. 

Thanks!

For anyone else looking for more general information on linking see this article: Actions (Links) and Hotspots

When I use the action icon to link to another Lucidchart it does not work. I had been doing this same action all last week with success. I follow the steps to create the link then select the doc. I don't get an error but the link is not created. After completing the action and I go back to the original Lucid tab I do not see the "shift + ctrl + click" message that I expect to see because the link did not attach.

Question is what changed since last week with my doc. Why can't I "link to Lucidchart document" anymore. How do I troubleshoot?

Thanks

Everett Gamory

Hi Everett thanks for continuing this thread! Could you try opening your document in a private or incognito window to help us narrow down the potential cause? Could you also try connecting to a different network or disconnecting from your VPN (if applicable)? Sometimes account performance issues can be related to internet security/speed or browser issues. These steps will help us eliminate that possibility. For help with opening an incognito window please see this community post

If these steps don't resolve the issue can you please respond with the following information so I can better understand what you're experiencing?

• A screenshot of the Actions menu after you've selected the document but the link isn't created

• Does this occur only when attempting to link a shape to another Lucidchart document or do you experience this with any type of action (layers email web link page within the current Lucidchart doc)?

• Does this occur only within a certain document or with any you try to create?

Thanks for your help and patience!

I noticed that the lucidchart I was trying to link had a thumbnail attached to it. I removed the thumbnail and the was able to attach to the lucidchart.

I am still not sure why. Maybe you can clarify!

@egamory I'm glad to hear that you were able to successfully link your Lucidchart document. Can you please clarify what you mean by "thumbnail"? Do you mean that the document you were attempting to link to contained a link of its own embedded in the canvas and after removing that thumbnail shape you were able to successfully link to this document?