💬 Mentor Monday 5/6/24: Which of the following do you believe has the most significant impact on your professional success?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

MENTOR MONDAY: Which of the following do you believe has the most significant impact on your professional success?

✅ Select from the list below or reply with your own.

Comments

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I’ve got to go with the lifelong learning mindset, which was not my default setting, by the way. I actually had to learn to be a lifelong learner.

I’m not sure when exactly I realized I needed to change my approach to learning, but I do recall what it was like before this magical transition.

It was probably around age 18 (you know, the superhero age), when I believed I had learned everything I ever needed to know, and anything beyond those basics needn’t worry me. This was not only a ridiculous train of thought but also a terrifying one since my main source of information up until that point was through the Las Vegas public education system.

Luckily, I embraced lifelong learning while my brain was still developing and have radically improved my life’s trajectory as a result.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I used to believe there was a great deal of fortune involved, mixed with the networking aspect, in order to boost rapport and be the “best” prospect for a business. However, it has become an evident truth that none of this is possible unless there is a mindset of lifelong learning. Otherwise, it seems to feel more of a type of dream chasing (or chasing the life someone else is living) rather than understanding what it takes to be better and grow from a more learned perspective.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

First off, I have to say that all of the options listed are A+ 🎯. Clearly somebody who knows her stuff making this poll!

Without hesitation, though, I chose a mindset for lifelong learning. It starts there IMO. I’m lucky that trait comes fairly naturally to me. On the other hand, I’ve really had to work on “leveraging my personal talents and leaning into my strengths.” I’m a perfectionist and look for external validation constantly, so it’s taken a lot of self-work to get to a space where I’m able to acknowledge my unique individual strengths and focus on them (versus just saying yes to everything).

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Lifelong learning is the key to a successful career. It keeps you updated and informed on the changing business environment.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I believe that a mindset of lifelong learning has the most significant impact on my professional success. Rather than just focusing on my existing skills, I think that a mindset of always being ready to learn is essential in allowing myself to expand and become proficient in other skills. When I was an intern back in college, my preceptor would always tell me, “You don’t know what you don’t know!”

Userlevel 3
Badge

I believe it has been a combination of mindset of Lifelong learning and networking. I agree with Matt, I think at the root, you need a willingness and eagerness to learn and to improve to be a strong candidate for any opportunity. You can always learn a skill, but you can not teach someone who is not willing to learn. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I do think it is a combination of everything. In my experience though it has primarily been leveraging my unique skill set and a little bit of luck (though I’ve seen luck be the biggest player to many individuals). When I try to approach a job the same as those around me, I find that I am less successful. We each bring out own unique spin and thoughts to a position and that adds an element that can’t be replicated, and will lead to future successes. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I think it’s a mix of the Lifelong Learning but also Leaning Into Your Skillsets. I have always found learning challenging and feel that at school we were never really taught ‘how’ to research and learn (it was always just “Go to the library”). Now in my “adult” life I have a few techniques, but it’s been very much trial and error. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Understanding of who you are, your strong and, the most important, weak parts, working of them and being a better version of yourself - the best thing that i realized and that had a huuuge impact on my personal and professional life. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Finding something that I liked to do, and learning as much as I could about it.

Userlevel 2
Badge

To add - being resilient amidst challenges and being able to learn from mistakes. 

Badge

Lifelong learning is a crucial part, but I think that Leaning into your strengths (while recognizing your weaknesses) is just as important. We should never always be the ‘smartest person’ in the room, if so, we are in the wrong rooms. I seek to surround myself with talented, smart individuals who can complete a team where each team member knows their role, but has opportunities to grow.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

Knowing who you truly are and being okay with that.  Always strive to better yourself for you, not others.