💬 Fun Friday 4/26/24: What forgotten technology from the 90s/2000s do you miss the most?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

FUN FRIDAY: What forgotten technology from the 90s/2000s do you miss the most?

✅ Select from the list below or reply with your own.

Comments

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

The most nostalgia for me has to be the dial-up internet noises. I would get home from school, make myself a pizza-flavored Hot Pocket, and run upstairs to get on AOL. The dial-up noise was not just an indication of a slow connection. It was the sound you heard before the whole world was at your fingertips. For me, it was the intro music to my escapades in AOL kids’ chatrooms, where I took the typing speed contests more seriously than I took anything else in my life.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Blockbuster. All of it!

• The smell
  • The look of the store
  • The movie poster VHS covers
  • The adventure it was to go there
  • The stress to return on time

Oh boy this has made me sentimental!

Badge

AOL

VHS

Yahoo Messenger and Internet Explorer

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Burning mixed tapes was it for me. ...back in the day, it was THE ultimate token to prove your undying love to your crush 🤣

(Michael Bolten, Bryan Adams, Rod Stewart, Spice Girls, Cranberries ....)

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I have a strong nostalgia for Blockbuster video rentals, which I miss the most!!

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Minidiscs!!! I loved everything about them and the portable players. They were SO solid and well built and allowed me to create mixtapes / mix-discs (mostly combinations of Daft Punk or Foo Fighters if I’m honest). 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

It's a toss-up between creating mixtapes for myself and my iPods. Music made endless hours of studying enjoyable!

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I miss sliding cell phones! There was something so satisfying about typing a text message and hearing all the mini keyboard keys clack, ESPECIALLY if you were skilled at typing quickly, like myself. Plus, they were a huge step up from having to press “7” four times to get the letter “s”. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Flip phones were just the coolest thing when they came out. I really wanted one for so long, but I had a Nokia, and despite my efforts I could not “accidentally” break it so I could justify buying a flip phone. 

I also do miss the feel and adventure of going to video rental (I did not grow up with Block buster) but same thing, walking the isles and finding some new movie to watch. 

Badge

Burning mixtapes and mix cd’s… so much nostalgia there! I remember when I was dating my husband way back then and he gave me a mix cd that he had burned. I thought it was the ultimate gesture of true love haha!

Userlevel 2
Badge

My Zune was the best (iPod by Microsoft) I loved it so much, best part, no iTunes needed 😎